Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Way Back Wednesday - Let the Right One In

To cover for the fact I'm on another Dark Shadows kick (watching several episodes a week instead of watching a movie), I'm going to highlight one of my favorite "vampire" movies. Although technically not up to my standards for a "Way Back Wednesday" (it was released in 2008), this is a hauntingly good movie.

LET THE RIGHT ONE IN is a Swedish import classified as a horror film, but it has the ability to generate true feelings. The main character, Oskar - played by Kåre Hedebrant - is a 12-year-old outcast who is a frequent target for bullies. He dreams of getting his revenge, but he never stands up to the boys.

Oskar finally gains a true friend when 12-year-old Eli - played by Lina Leandersson - moves in next door. Oskar now has a friend, ally, and first love. Eli gives Oskar the strength to fight back and stand up to his enemies.

I'm going to tell you any more about the plot, but this is a movie you should see instead of read about. But let me say, it is definitely worth watching.

Based on the novel by John Ajvide Linqvist (who also wrote the script), LET THE RIGHT ONE IN is a great story because appears to be one storyline and genre, but quickly transforms into something else. Sweet, innocent and romantic one minute, then evil and bloody the next - it will keep you on the edge of your seat.

Favorite quotes:

Oskar: Are you a vampire?
Eli: I live off blood...
[pause]
Eli: Yes.
Oskar: Are you...
[pause]
Oskar: Dead?
Eli: No. Can't you tell?

Oskar: Are you really twelve?
Eli: Yes. It's just I've been twelve for a very long time.

Oskar: [first lines - imagining revenge] Squeal like a pig. So, Squeal.

Oskar: Who are you?
Eli: I'm like you.
Oskar: What do you mean?
Eli: [accusing tone] What are you looking at? Well? Are you looking at me? [points her finger at Oskar] So scream! Squeal!
[pauses]
Eli: Those were the first words I heard you say.

No comments: