Monday, February 22, 2010

Kentucky Weather


Kentucky weather - you’ve got to love it 'cause you can't change it! Everyone who lives in our beautiful state will understand when I talk about my love-hate relationship with our weather. On the one hand, over two-thirds of the time, the weather is perfect—just the way I like it. It is that last third of the time that I begin to wonder if waiting out the nasty weather in favor of those special times I enjoy is really worth it. You be the judge.

On Saturday, I went to the movies with my family. I had dressed in jeans and a long sleeve shirt and I felt overdressed as I rolled the car window down a crack. By the time the movie was over, I had rolled up the sleeves of my shirt and was still sweating.

On Sunday, I turned off the heat in the house and opened the windows in the living room and bathroom, trying to catch that first spring breeze. The birds were chirping, the sun was shining and it was just the most perfect day of this New Year.

Now today, the skies are grey and overcast, with periodic rain showers. These are the kinds of days when I enjoy reading or writing. I like to let my imagination roam free and not have to worry about the ordinary stresses of the day. I can let my mind follow down the path of another author’s imagination, or I can explore the depths of my own mind's eye and capture it in words.

The problem with our changing Kentucky weather is that the changes in temperature seem to correlate to the temperaments of family and friends. I’m usually more out-going and friendly on a bright sunny day, but on a dark overcast day, I’m usually lost in my own head and I don’t notice anyone or anything around me.

Of course, the weather is again calling for snow flurries tomorrow, so I know spring is not really here. But I have seen the glorious sights of spring and I do know Mother Nature will send it back to us again soon. Until then, I guess I’ll have to enjoy the weather we’ve been given today and try not to complain – at least not too loudly.

No comments: