Monday, October 27, 2008

Morning Grouch

Why is it most Monday mornings I feel like Oscar the Grouch? You would think after someone reaches the age of 46 - I mean, 29 years old, they would be better equiped to handle the morning.

Unfortunately, I'm not one of those people. For years now, I have suffered from insomnia, along with persistant heartburn and sleep apnea, so I normally only sleep about 4 hours a night. Most days I can handle things just fine, but Monday mornings are the exception.

My sleep cycle gets totally screwed up over the weekend, with me sleeping a few hours on and off all weekend long. Usually Sundays are the worst!

This Sunday, I was awake until 5 in the morning, before I dropped off for a cat nap until 8:30. I was then able to do some writing and read a few chapters in a new book (The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo - it is excellent!) until about 11, when I promptly fell asleep for another cat nap. I was up again by 1:30, ready to take my daughter to her Teen Writing Workshop. We were back home by 4:30, so I went ahead and started supper - after all, a pot of chili can simmer while I take another cat nap.

I was dosing again by 6, missing all the evening news. Believe it or not, I went all day Sunday without any political news - this is probably a first for me! By this time, I am totally awake ...

...and I proceeded to be awake until 4:30 this morning before I fell asleep in my recling chair! My daughter gets up at 6, so I heard her stirring around, but was unable to pull my head out from under the covers. I grumbled a quick "I love you" as she went out the door at 7:15. Then I started the long task of trying to pull my aching body out of the chair. Man, why do Mondays have to come so soon!

2 comments:

Natalie said...

GLad to know I am not the only one who suffers from insomnia. I was up until 3 Sunday morning. When my son came in the bedroom at 8 I mumbled to my husband "take him somewhere and get breakfast" meaning please go away so I can sleep longer. The subtle hint must have worked becuse they left and let me sleep until noon!

Anonymous said...

I'm visiting from Texas via BATW, and wanted to tell you how much I enjoyed your blog. Come visit..:)