Monday, October 27, 2008

Why Kentucky Really Isn't True Blue



(top - Lunsford; bottom - McConnell)

I may raise a lot of flack over the title of this post, but my home state of Kentucky is always bragging about the fact it bleeds True Blue because of the UK Wildcats. I have never been a sports fan, but even I enjoy knowing that the Wildcats have dominated basketball for most of my adult life.

However, with the upcoming Presidential election, it is very disappointing to see that Kentucky will probably stay firmly in the Red category. There has been much speculation that Kentucky is a racist state, but it breaks my heart to hear people say this.

There has been lots of information presented as to why some Kentuckians are racists - I've seen editoral cartoons, opinion editorals and too many interviews to count. That being said, I would like to present another piece of evidence.

In an election year where the Republicians are down in almost every major poll, it is not surprising that our candidates for the Senate - Mitch McConnell (R) and Bruce Lundsford (D) have been fighting tooth and nail for every vote. At the beginning of the year, it seemed impossible to think that after 24 years in the Senate, McConnell might lose his bid for reelection.

But then a funny thing happened ... Lunsford started gaining on McConnell in the polls, and now, 8 days before the election, the KY Senate race is too close to call.

So, if the Senate race is neck and neck - as it is in most states - then why is McCain so far ahead of Obama in Kentucky? If Democrates and Republicians are running neck and neck in almost every race in Kentucky, why isn't the Presidential race much closer? If it possible that the difference between the Senate race and the Presidential race if the addition of a black candidate? I surely hope not, but the evidence is overwhelming.

Just for the record, I am a Barack Obama/Joe Biden and Bruce Lunsford supporter.

1 comment:

hls1209 said...

I would say that it has ALOT to do with the fact that Obama is not white. Sad, but true. I am not a huge Lunsford fan, but I will NOT vote for McConnell!