Saturday, May 17, 2008

Live from Harrodsburg, it's Saturday Night

Here I am on a beautiful Saturday night - sitting in front of my computer. How pathetic is that? Actually, as boring as it may sound, I'm doing just what I want to be doing and I'm enjoying every minute of it.

My husband and my daughter are both working tonight, so I have the house to myself. For the next four hours I can do anything I want. As soon as I finish this blog, I have a short story I need to edit and a new story I want to "flesh out." I'll spend the evening with my computer in my lap, the television on and a stack of books and notebooks at my side; not to mention the ice-cold glass of Coke and last slice of pizza.

At 10 o'clock I'll watch this week's episode of Robin Hood on the BBC. This is one of my favorite television shows and it keeps getting better every week. It actually comes on at 9, but I hate commericals, so I'll wait and use the DVR to fast forward through all the ads; this way I can get some writing in before hand.

I'm currently writing a children's book, so I have several character sketches I need to work on. I have already done some research, but I haven't had time to sit down and work on it, so I'm looking forward to doing this. I have notebooks full of words and doodles; tonight I'll open computer files and start organizing all the information.

I also want to do some reading tonight. I've started on a new series of books by Charlaine Harris called The Southern Vampire Mysteries, so I'm half-way through the first book. I'm also reading a series of children's books called Percy Jackson and the Olympians, by Rick Riordan; I'm on the second book. To complicate matters, I'm also reading on a third series of books by John Sanford called the Prey series. It drives my husband crazy when I'm reading more than one book at a time. There are some books I can read straight through, like Stephenie Meyer's new book The Host, but there are many books that I will literally only read three or four chapters before skipping ahead to the next book and then back again. That's just the way my brain works.

So while most people are out on the town or socializing on a Saturday night, I'm home with three of my favorite things: my computer, the televison and my books. And I'm waiting for my top two favorite things to come home: my hubby and my daughter.

It's my Saturday and I'll do as I like!

No comments: