Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Mommy Bear to the Rescue

What is it with teenagers and manners? Kids today seem to have no manners; they are impolite and can be downright rude.

Yesterday, Christine and I had an unfortunate incident at the Mercer Public Library. Christine had a reserved book to pick up, so I took her to the library right after school. Because I had been to the library earlier in the day, I waited in the car while she went in. When she got back to the car, she was crying! Apparently, there were 4 teenage boys hanging around the entrance to the library and they decided to be show off.

As my daughter went into the library, they called her an awful name. She ignored them and proceeded into the library. On her way out, they again called out awful names and made rude gestures. She did what I've always told her to do; she ignored them again. The only problem is - now I was upset. And when Mommy is upset, watch out.

I got out of my car to confront these kids, but they took off running in two directions. I got back into the car to try and calm Christine down, then we pulled out of the parking lot. I should have let that be the end of it, but I didn't.

When I pulled out on the road, I saw the boys circling back around to the library, so I circled back to the library. They were again at the entrance, so I parked my car and got out. They scattered again, but I went into the library to report the incident to the librarian. She was madder than I was!

Together we walked outside, her taking one side of the building and me the other. The librarian cornered the boys across the street from the library and addressed them about their conduct in the library. When she asked their names, the boys took off running, but she didn't persue them. After apologizing to me and Christine (it was not her fault, but I appreciated the thought), she assured me she would keep an eye out for these kids again.

Now, I feel like a hypocrite because I've always told Christine to ignore ignorant people who tease and call you names. "Water off a duck's back," as my husband says, but I let my emotions get the better of me. Christine was proud that I took up for her, but now I feel like I've sent the wrong message.

So, in the wide scheme of things I've learned I'm only human. It is one thing to tell my daughter to ignore rude people; it's another thing for the rude behavior to happen in front of me. I don't take well to people who insult my children; so it's Mommy bear to the rescue!

No comments: