Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Like Father, Like Daughter

Watching my hubby and my daughter on Father's Day, I realized how much she has grown to be like him. They have the same mannerisms, the same way of speaking before they think, and this need to always have the last word. She is the spitting image of her father and I couldn't be prouder.

But reflecting back on my own father, I always thought we had very little in common. My father is a hard worker; he started out in a factory and worked his way up to owning his own body shop. Cars and trucks were his life and when he wasn't working, he was tinkering with one old car after another.

I, on the other hand, was more interested in school, books and learning. While Dad would have his head under a car hood, my head would be in a book, daydreaming of what was to come. My father was the youngest of 8 children; I was the oldest of 3. My father graduated from high school, but I was the first to graduate from college. With all our differences, I always knew my father (and my mother) was behind me.

This Father's Day weekend, I spent the entire weekend flat on my back, suffering from a kidney stone. I'm 45 years old and have never had a kidney stone, although my father and baby sister had suffered from them for years. So, I called my father up several days in a row to ask for advice in dealing with kidney stones, and he was always quick with a response or suggestion.

And then it happened, during one of the lowest points in my life, I realized I had more in common with my father than I thought. Not just the pain and agony of a physical ailment, but the way we both tackle a problem and try to make things better for our family.

So from now on, whenever I compare my daughter and my hubby, I'll also be looking for other ways my father and I are alike. They have always been there, but I was too busy to notice. No more - because today is a new day. Happy Father's Day, Dad, today and every day.


Also visit my other blog at:

http://bobbisbooknook.blogspot.com

No comments: