Friday, August 28, 2009

Free Flowing Friday

Since I missed Free Flowing Friday last week, I've had a lot on my mind. Of course, clean-up from the fire has been tops on my list.

1.) Hoping and praying the electricians can finally get our electricity restored today. I love my mom-in-law to death, but I'm ready to be back in my own home. Two families living together is just not compatible. I like to sleep with the room freezing cold and she wants all the windows shut-up tight at night. Needless to say, I've been sleeping less than usual - and I'm already a chronic insomniac.

2.) As a break from fire clean-up, I'm attending Mercer County's first ArtVenture at Terrapin Hill Farms tomorrow morning. The newly formed Arts Council of Mercer County is going to be holding monthly events for all the artists in our community. An ArtVenture is an activity to bring all art forms together to eventually collaborate on projects with the same theme. I'm taking my notebook, camera and sketch pad, so we'll see what happens.

3.) I'm so excited - I have a new writing gig! In addition to the weekly book review column I do in The Harrodsburg Herald, I will now be doing book reviews for Kentucky Monthly. I'm not sure what my first book will be, but it is in the mail as we speak. I'll keep you updated.

4.) I've been a bloggy fog for almost 2 weeks now and I feel lost without blogging. I never realized until this moment how much I enjoy blogging until I'm not able to do it as much as I'd like. Hopefully, next week will show lots of improvement.

5.) I missed the book launch of a wonderful poet in Lexington last night. Katerina Stoykova-Klemer's first book, The Air Around the Butterfly, is a bilingual collection of poetry, with each poem appearing side by side in both Bulgarian and English. Originally written in English, each work has been translated by the author into her native Bulgarian. The collection is comprised of three sections: My Mother Was Going to War, E. T. and I Phone Home, and The Apple Who Wanted to Become a Pinecone. Check out her official website here. This book is now available in bookstores and online.

6.) My daughter is anxiously awaiting to see if she will be elected as part of the Student Council at school. She has some strong views and great ideas for improving the school. Her big project is an idea for increased recycling for the entire school system. It is amazing the amount of waste one school can generate in a day - and our school system has 6 different buildings!

No comments: