Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Way Back Wednesday - Corpse Bride

Corpse Bride is a 2005 musical "stop-motion-animation" film directed by Tim Burton. It is set in a fictional Victorian era village in Britain and was nominated for Best Animated Feature at the Academy Awards.

Johnny Depp was the voice of Victor Van Dort and Helena Bonham Carter voiced Emily (the Corspe Bride). When a shy young Victor fails to recite his vows properly at his wedding rehersal to a complete stranger Victoria Everglott (voiced by Emily Watson), he flees to practice his vows in the woods.

But in typical Burton fashion, when Victor finally gets his vows correct, he accidently places the ring on the finger of the Corpse Bride and ends up in the afterlife known as the "land of the dead."

While Victor tries desperatly to get home, he finds out that his wife-to-be will be marrying someone else to save her family from the poor house. The man she is being forced to marry is the evil Lord Barkiss, who is only after Victoria for her money (not knowing that she and her family are now completely broke). When Victor and the rest of the dead finally get to the land of the living, a shocking discovery is made which reveals how the Corpse Bride died.

This is a charming comedy with interesting twists and turns.

Favorite quotes:

Victoria Everglot: Hildegard, what if Victor and I don't like each other?
Maudeline Everglot: Hmpf! As if that has anything to do with marriage. Do you suppose your father and I "like" each other?
Victoria Everglot: Surely you must, a little.
Maudeline Everglot, Finnis Everglot: Of course not!

Victor Van Dort: I want some questions! Now!
General Bonesapart: Answers... I think you mean answers.
Victor Van Dort: Thank you, yes, answers. I need answers.

The Corpse Bride: Isn't the view beautiful? It takes my breath away. Well, it would if I had any.

[Bonejangles creeps up behind Finnis; his eye falls into Finnis' bowl]
Finnis Everglot: There's an eye in me soup.

The Corpse Bride: [about Victor's dead dog, Scraps] What a cutie.
Victor Van Dort: You should have seen him with fur.

[Victor has snuck away from the Corpse Bride to find Victoria and listens to the arguing Everglots]
Finnis Everglot: If ever I see that Van Dort boy, I'll strangle him with my bare hands!
Maudeline Everglot: Your hands are too fat, and his neck is too thin. You'll have to use a rope.

Victor Van Dort: I've got a... I've got a dwarf, and I'm not afraid to use him!

The Corpse Bride: [about Victor] He's not my boyfriend, he's my husband.

No comments: