The story follows Harry Potter (Daniel Radcliffe), a boy who discovers on his eleventh birthday that he is a wizard, and is sent to Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry to begin his magical education. He meets his two best friends, Ron Weasley (Rupert Grint) and Hermione Granger (Emma Watson), and the trio works together to solve the mystery of the Sorcerer's Stone. I'm not going into much detail on this movie because most people have either seen it, or read the book. To date, the Harry Potter 7 book series is the largest selling book series in history.
The film also stars Richard Harris (Albus Dumbledore), Maggie Smith (Prof. McGonagall,), Robbie Coltrane (Hagrid), Alan Rickman (Prof. Snape), Richard Bremmer (Lord Voldemort), and Ian Hart (Prof. Quirrell).
I love this book series, and although I think this movie was a good first installment for the movie series, I still think the book is better. Things I didn't like about the movie:
- Peeves the poltergist was left out entirely.
- The Sorting Hat song! I was so looking forward to this, but it was left out.
- Mrs. Figg was also left out and she ends up playing a large role in The Order of the Phoenix
- The detention scene was changed from the book, but it worked out okay for the movie.
- And, the fate of Norbert the dragon was changed.