Friday, January 15, 2010

Free Flowing Friday

To say 2K10 has gotten off to a bang would be an understatement! Here it is the 3rd Friday into the New Year, and I've yet to make a decent blog post. Too much to do, so little time.

1.) I'd like to invite everyone out to the Ragged Edge Community Theatre for our production of "The Wizard of Oz." The show opened last night - show times are:
  • January 15 and 16th at 8pm
  • January 17th at 3pm
  • January 21, 22, and 23rd at 8pm
  • January 24th at 3pm

Admission is $8 for adults and $6 for children 12 yo and under. The show is fabulous and the cast and crew have worked very hard - forgoing their Christmas breaks to get a head start on the production.

2.) I have submitted by first book of poetry to Finishing Line Press for their New Women Voices contest. Prize money is $1,000 and publication of the book, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed. The name of my book is "The Care and Feeding of Nightmares." Even if I don't win the contest, I am going to pursue publication of this book because I'm very proud of the depth of feeling it contains.

3.) I have submitted my book proposal for "Harrodsburg Historical Images" to Arcadia Publishing. As you may recall, they contacted me just before Thanksgiving last year and wanted me to work on a book about Harrodsburg. I was pleased and honored to be contacted, so now I'm just waiting to see what my deadline will be for completing the work.

4.) The book "Women of Mercer County" has been published and there will be a book release party on January 31st at Beaumont Inn. I have 3 essays in this book: Granny Devine, Granny Sallee, and Amy Carter Sallee (my sister). This book has been a long time coming and I am anxious to see the finished product.

5.) And one more book related thought, I am nearly finished with the editing process for "I Dream of My Past" - a collection of my essays from MERCER'S MAGAZINE. This is another book I will actively seek publication of this year. I can't believe that after a lifetime of writing, I will have at least one book published this year, with the potential of 3 more! All my hard work is finally paying off.

6.) Although I don't make New Year's Resolutions, I do have a few goals for this year (many of them are listed above), but one of my biggest goals is to take control of my life again. For the past 5 years, I feel like I've been floundering in the sea of life and going where ever the waves take me. I need to step in and make concrete decisions for the course of my life. It's a hard thing to do, but I'm taking one baby step at a time.

No comments: