Friday, September 4, 2009

Free Flowing Friday

At least this has been a better week than the past 2 weeks! We are finally back in our house, although clean-up is far from over. Here is what's cluttering my mind this week:

1.) Hypocritical people drive me insane! Some people just need to get over themselves - the world is not all about you. Okay, it may be all about me - but it's definitely not all about you! LOL!!

2.) Finished a wonderful young adult book this week - Graceling by Kristen Cashore. This book was released last year, but I'm just getting around to reading. This was the perfect kind of book for me: a great female heroine, believable characters, thrilling adventures, a tad bit of fantasy - an action packed read I didn't want to end. According to Cashore's website, she has a new book coming out, Fire, which will be a prequel to this book - it is already on my TBR list and will move right to the top as soon as I can get my hands on it.

3.) I don't understand the uproar many parents are having over President Obama's address to school children. People, he is going to be talking to kids about staying in school and furthering their education! This address is similar to other President's: Bush Jr. asked school children to give $1 for Afghanistan children and Bush Sr. talked to children about the evils of drugs. Presidents Clinton, Regan, Carter, Nixon and Johnson all addressed school children. Obama is the freely elected President of the United States - you may not agree with his policies or politics, but give him the respect the Commander in Chief deserves.

4.) I'm upset with Democratic lawmakers because I'm afraid they are going to "cow down" to fringe Republicans and not pass a health care reform bill. Citizens of the USA should not be dying because they can't afford health care. Citizens of the USA should not have to go bankrupt because of astronomical health care bills. Citizens of the USA should not have to choose between buying their prescription drugs and buying food or making a house payment. Citizens of the USA should not be denied health care coverage because of a preexisting condition.

5.) On a lighter note, have you seen the new opening for the Late Show with Craig Ferguson? I love watching Craig!! They have kept the original song - with the missing line reinserted - and the opening has Craig in different situations singing the theme song. I bet you didn't know Craig wrote the theme song and sings it himself? I know ... he is great!

6.) Our daughter will be away from home tonight, so it's date night for me and hubby - it's been too long! I think our plans are to go to the drive-in - 2 movies for $5, you can't beat that anywhere. Twin Hills Drive-In is playing Quentin Tarantino's Inglourious Basterds and Rob Zombie's Halloween II. We've already seen Inglourious Basterds, but I can't wait to see it again.

7.) I am stoked about seeing Tim Burton's 9 next week! It is a post-apocalyptic nightmare in which all of humanity is threatened. Tim Burton is awesome!

8.) Oh, I forgot to mention this earlier in the week - I got a new writing gig! I will be doing book reviews for Kentucky Monthly magazine. I'm so excited! The first book I'm reading is Lincoln's Advocate: The Life of Judge Joseph Holt by Kentucky author Susan B. Dyer.

9.) If you haven't checked out my Lexington Gardener page at Examiner.com, come on over and see what's happening in gardens around the Bluegrass. I appreciate all the visitors I can get.

10.) I almost forgot, my youngest baby, Christine, was elected to the Student Council at Mercer County Senior High School. Congratulations Christine!

No comments: