Friday, September 25, 2009

Free Flowing Friday

Because I haven't felt well this week, most of my thoughts have migrated to the dark side. So, to save you from my icky mood, I thought I would highlight a few new books I've enjoyed this week.

Prophecy of the Sisters (Prophecy of the Sisters Trilogy, Book I) by Michelle Zink
Twin sisters Lia and Alice Milthorpe have just become orphans. They have also become enemies. As they discover their roles in a prophecy that has turned generations of sisters against each other, the girls find themselves entangled in a mystery that involves a tattoo-like mark, their parents' deaths, a boy, a book, and a lifetime of secrets.
This book takes place in the late 1800s and Zink has a refreshing writing style I am finding enjoyable. This easy to read book is a true page turner that has left me eagerly awaiting the next book in the trilogy.


Evermore (The Immortals Book 1) by Alyson Noel
Seventeen-year-old Ever survived the car crash that killed her parents, younger sister, and their dog. Now she lives with an aunt in Southern California, plagued not only by survivor guilt but also by a new ability to hear the thoughts of all around her. She tries to tune out all these distractions by keeping her hoodie up and her iPod cranked loud, until Damen, the cute new boy at school, convinces her to come out of her shell. Damen, however, is frighteningly clever—and has the strange ability to produce tulips from nowhere and disappear himself at critical moments.
For readers looking to fill the void left by the Twilight series, this is a different variation on the girl meets boy love story. Where Twilight has vegetarian vampires, the Immortals has immortal beings. Noel's truly captures the teenage voice. You can read my book review at: Bobbi's Book Nook.


Eli the Good by Silas House
Bicentennial fireworks burn the sky. Bob Seger growls from a transistor radio. And down by the river, girls line up on lawn chairs in pursuit of the perfect tan. Yet for ten-year-old Eli Book, the summer of 1976 is the one that threatened to tear his family apart. There is his distant mother; his traumatized Vietnam vet dad; his wild sister; his former warprotester aunt; and his tough yet troubled best friend, Edie, the only person with whom he can be himself. As tempers flare and his father’s nightmares rage, Eli watches from the sidelines, but soon even he cannot escape the current of conflict. From Silas House comes a tender look at the complexities of childhood and the realities of war — a quintessentially Southern novel filled with music, nostalgic detail, a deep respect for nature, and a powerful sense of place.
I was lucky enough to attend the national book launch of this book by one of my favorite Kentucky authors. House has an authentic Kentucky voice and his writing flows off the page in lyrical form. This is truly a beautiful book.


The Lost Symbol by Dan Brown
I'm not going to give much away about this book because many people have not had a chance to read it yet, but you can check out my book review at Bobbi's Book Nook. Let's just say that it was a real page turner for me, but I was a little disappointed. My infatuation with the fictional character of Robert Langdon is now over.

No comments: