Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Way Back Wednesday - Dirty Dancing

To honor the memory of Patrick Swayze, I am rerunning my Way Back Wednesday on Dirty Dancing. May he rest in peace ...

Dirty Dancing is a 1987 Academy Award winning romance film, written by Eleanor Bergstein and directed by Emile Ardolino. The film features Jennifer Grey (pre-nose job), Patrick Swayze, Cynthia Rhodes, and Jerry Orbach.

The movie takes place in 1963 and is the story of a teenaged girl and her relationship with an older dance instructor during a family summer vacation at the Kellerman Resort in the Catskill Mountains. Frances "Baby" Houseman (Grey) is swept off her feet by the sexy dance instructor, Johnny Castle (Swayze). Although her father forbids her to have anything to do with Johnny, Baby finds herself falling madly in love.

Some of my favorite scences include: Baby practicing her dance moves on the boardwalk, Johnny and Baby dancing on the log and in the lake, and of course, the last dance of the movie.

Favorite quotes from Dirty Dancing:

"Oh, come on, ladies. God wouldn't have given you maracas if He didn't want you to shake 'em."

"Look, spaghetti arms. This is my dance space. This is your dance space. I don't go into yours, you don't go into mine. You gotta hold the frame."

" I carried a watermelon."

"God, I'm so sick of this rain. Remind me not to take my honeymoon at Niagara Falls."


And the infamous: "Nobody puts Baby in a corner."

Last dance of the movie. (Photo from movie is copyrighted)

Dirty Dancing won an Academy Award for Best Song - "(I've Had) The Time of My Life" performed by Bill Medley and Jennifer Warnes; composed by Franke Previte, John deNicola, and Donald Markowitz. Of course, my favorite song of the movie is "Hungry Eyes" performed by Eric Carmen; composed by Franke Previte and John deNicola .

Dirty Dancing is one of those movies that I have to stop and watch when I find it while flipping through the channels - it never gets old.

No comments: