Monday, September 14, 2009

Weird Weekend

It's been a weird kinda weekend 'round our house. I've felt the first waves of some virus or cold or something because I've had a sore throat and congestion with aches and pains all weekend. Not running a fever, so I don't think it's the swine flu. You know I was feeling bad when I declined to go with hubby and daughter to see the new Tim Burton movie 9. I've been waiting to see this movie, but I just didn't think I could do a trip to Lexington (it's not in Danville) watch the movie and then ride home. So I've spent the afternoon reading and resting, but I don't feel too much better.

Hubby did a wonderful job of laying the new floor in our laundry room. The drywall is finished and the floor is done - now we'll be ready to paint, hopefully this week. The washing machine is up and running, but our dryer has the wrong electrical plug, so that's holding us up. We lost our cedar wardrobe in the fire, so that can't be replaced - instead we're going to turn the corner where the wardrobe was into a pantry. It will be nice to have shelves for food storage outside of the kitchen.

Christine took the ACT again on Saturday - she was so nervous. She is trying to get her score up as high as possible so she will qualify for more scholarships. She has a 3.69 GPA and is a straight A student, but she has severe test anxiety and that always messes her up. She is very strong in English and History, but weaker in Math and Science. It's going to be a long fall and winter weeding out colleges and getting all the applications in on time.

I got a phone call Sunday from a lady who works with teaching English to Japanese women. They meet regularly and for their late October meeting, she wanted me to come and demonstrate pumpkin carving. I have carved elaborate pumpkins for years and it is something I enjoy doing, but this is one of the things I've quit doing over the past four years and I've only ever demonstrated to school children or Girl Scouts. I told her YES, so now I'll have to pull myself together and work up a program. This will be another one of those steps to get me out of my comfort zone.

My writing has been going slowly since the fire, but I'm finally starting to write again. I have recently sent in submissions to Kentucky Monthly and New Southerner magazines. I'm also finishing up some poetry for a contest that closes in October.

Okay, I guess a weird weekend has lead to this weird post - it's reading more like a free flowing Friday because my thoughts are rambling all over the place. I'm just trying to stay sane in an increasingly insane world. It's a good thing my family loves me the way I am.

Oh, and it's my oldest daughter's 27th birthday - gosh, how did I get so old?!

Happy Birthday, Amber Dawn Huffman Wilham

3 comments:

Lynn Irwin Stewart said...

Bobbi, I've had some respiratory thing going on for weeks now -- no fever -- have wondered if it's an allergy, though I've never really had any trouble with those before (there's always a first time, I guess). Anyway, I'm really sick and tired of feeling sick and tired. Hope you feel better soon!

Julia Phillips Smith said...

With all of the damage to your home and the work you've been doing to repair it, I might consider that exposure to smoke, etc. and new building materials could make you feel like you've got the flu. That would totally do me in.

Lisa Brawner said...

We got the same crud Bobbi :( NO fever with it so is weird