Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Way Back Wednesday - The Wall

The Wall is one of my favorite musicals, mainly because I love the music of Pink Floyd. I was fortunate enough to see the Floyd live in Rupp Arena in 1987 - flying pig and all!

(From IMDB) Pink Floyd's The Wall is a 1982 musical film by British director Alan Parker based on the 1979 Pink Floyd album The Wall. It depicts the construction and ultimate demolition of a metaphorical wall. Though the film is highly interpretable, the wall itself clearly reflects a sense of isolation and alienation.The screenplay was written by Pink Floyd vocalist and bassist Roger Waters. The film is highly metaphorical and is rich in symbolic imagery and sound. It features very little dialogue and is mainly driven by Pink Floyd's music. Although it features a linear storyline, in many ways The Wall more resembles a long-form music video than a traditional narrative feature film.

The film contains fifteen minutes of elaborate animation sequences by the political cartoonist and illustrator Gerald Scarfe part of which depict a nightmarish vision of the German bombing campaign over the United Kingdom during World War II set to the song "Goodbye Blue Sky".

My favorite quotes/lyrics from the film include:

Mother: [singing] Hush now baby, baby, don't you cry.
Mother's gonna make all of your nightmares come true.
Mother's gonna put all of her fears into you.
Mother's gonna keep you right under her wing.
She won't let you fly, but she might let you sing.
Mama will keep baby cozy and warm.
Ooooh babe, ooooh babe, oooooh babe,
Of course Mama's gonna help build the wall.

Fuck me! He's gone completely around the bleedin' twist!

Doctor: [singing] Hello, is there anybody in there?
Just nod if you can hear me.
Is there anyone home?
Come on, now, I hear you're feeling down.
Well I can ease your pain
And get you on your feet again.
Relax, I'll need some information, first.
Just the basic facts.
Can you show me where it hurts?
Pink: [singing] There is no pain you are receding
A distant ship, smoke on the horizon.
You are only coming through in waves.
Your lips move, but I can't hear what you're saying.
When I was a child, I had a fever
My hands felt just like two balloons.
Now I've got that feeling once again
I can't explain, you would not understand
This is not how I am
I have become comfortably numb.

No comments: