Wednesday, September 3, 2008

The Actor Takes the Stage

Just as with last week's Democratic National Convention, I was glued to the Republican National Convention last night. Although I love Laura Bush, she was having difficulty reading the teleprompter last night. This surprised me considering she is a librarian. Anyhow, Laura Bush is the only thing I like about the Bush White House, so I'll forgive her for being "stiff" on stage.

However, it was Fred Thompson's speech that had tears flowing on one side and anger flowing on the other.

To hear Fred talk, Gov. Sarah Palin has more experience than McCain! Thompson kept repeating that Obama had no executive experience, well, neither does McCain! From the way the Republicians are talking, Palin's executive experience makes her more qualified than McCain. Folks, that's scary!

And considering Thompson was running AGAINST McCain only a few months ago, what made him flip-flop and decide to be FOR McCain? But I guess the same can be said for Biden and Obama - party does win out.

On another note, he did tug at the heartstrings by describing McCain's POW experience. Although I appreciate the fact that McCain was a POW, that doesn't make him qualified to be President. Also, is it right to focus the Republican party on a PERSON instead the policies of the PARTY?

The quote he made that offended me was:
"Because tonight our country is calling to all of us to step up, stand up, and put "country first" with John McCain."
Just because I'm for change in Washington, doesn't mean I don't put my country first.
"Tonight we are being called upon to do what is right for our country. Tonight we are being called upon to stand up for a strong military ... a mature foreign policy ... a free and growing economy and for the values that bind us together and keep our nation free."
I believe this statement by Thompson, but he was speaking about the wrong candidate.

And did anyone find it funny that our sitting President George Bush didn't even show up for his own party's convention? And that his speech was just before primetime, when the 3 top networks started airing coverage? The RNC is trying so hard to make it appear that McCain is not like Bush, when in fact, McCain has voted WITH Bush over 90% of the time.

I'm sorry, but in my eyes, this is more of the McSame!

1 comment:

Keys to the Magic Travel said...

I haven't watched any of the RNC - but I did watch Stephen Colbert last night (that's a legitimate news sourse, right?) - and his comments about Palin's executive experience was hilarious. And I love all the quotes about her having foreign policy experience because Alaska is so close to Russia. Uh-huh.