Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Try-It Tuesdays - Netflix




For this week's Try-It Tuesday, I'm going to sing the praises of Netflix!!






According to Wikipedia:
Netflix (NASDAQ: NFLX) is the largest online DVD rental service, offering flat rate rental-by-mail and online streaming to customers in the United States. Established in 1997 and headquartered in Los Gatos, California, it has amassed a collection of 100,000 titles and approximately 8.2 million subscribers. The company has more than 55 million discs and ships 1.9 million of them to customers each day, on average. Netflix previously claimed to spend about $300 million a year on postage. On February 25, 2007, Netflix announced the billionth DVD delivery. It topped the ForeSee Results’ Top 100 Online Retail Satisfaction Index with an American Customer Satisfaction Index score of 86, well over the industry average of 75.

Our family has been a big supporter of Netflix for over 5 years now, and we continue to love the service we receive. We currently have the "4 at a time" plan, which means, we can have out 4 DVDs at one time. Our account is set up three ways: 1.) My hubby's preferences, 2.) My daughter's perferences, and 3.) My preferences (I currently get 2 DVDs through my profile - aren't I special!)

Recently, Netflix announced they would be doing away with the profile portion of their accounts, but after a letter writing campaign - yes, I wrote my letters - they decided to continue this benefit.

Netflix is easy. Log on to Netflix.com and sign up for an account. They have a secure server so you can make payments on-line. Then start building your queue! You can list all the movies or TV shows you want and you can rank them in the order of preference. It's just that easy.

When you receive a DVD in the mail, you can keep it as long as you want. Netflix will only send you the number of DVDs you have signed up for. When you are finished watching a movie, replace it in the prepaid envelope and stick it in the mail. When they receive your return DVD, they will then send you the next DVD in your queue.

What could be simplier than that? It sure beats standing in a video store trying to find a movie to watch, only to find out all the copies have been rented. Bummer! With Netflix, the movies come straight to your house, plus you don't have to pay late fees when you forget to return a movie.

5 comments:

Keys to the Magic Travel said...

I love my netflix. It's cheaper than having all the cable stations for all the different shows I want to see. And we use it alot for homeschooling.

We do the three at a time, but I am thinking of moving up to four.

Jan Ross said...

We LOVE Netflix. I don't know how we lived without it. We especially love watching a whole TV series with no commercials and no waiting for the next episode!

Totallyscrappy said...

Before The Dish we had Blockbuster's version of Netflix. The best part for us was the variety of movies. The stores actually carry a limited supply of mostly new releases. My hubby is a fan of all sorts of movies you wouldn't call a "new release." The other thing I liked was renting exercise videos. I could try them out and then buy them if I liked them (and could keep up!)

Anonymous said...

I used to rack up late fees at Blockbuster on a pretty regular basis. That is, until I discovered Netflix. Now I can't live without it!! And since I've moved out to the country, it's the only way to obtain videos!!

Anonymous said...

I love to watch TV through Netflix also. I don't have to pay for the premium channels, and I don't have to wait a week for the next episode. The movies tend to sit on top of my player, but the tv series ones, I go through them quickly. It makes the monthly fee worthwhile.