Monday, September 1, 2008

What is Labor Day?

Labor Day - a day to relax and savor the end of summer and the last long weekend of sunshine and fun, right? This may be how most Americans see Labor Day today, but it is far from its true meaning which dates back to the height of the industrial revolution.

Labor Day is a creation of the labor movement and is dedicated to the social and economic achievements of American workers. It constitutes a yearly national tribute to the contributions workers have made to the strength, prosperity, and well-being of our country.

History of Labor Day:
Although the movement to have Labor Day had been happening for quite some time, in September 1892, union workers in New York City took an unpaid day off and gathered in Union Square to support the holiday.

1894 - President Cleveland made a campaign promise to enact the holiday to win votes and he followed through with his promise.

1898 - The head of the American Federation of Labor, Samuel Gompers, called it "the day for which the toilers in past centuries looked forward, when their rights and their wrongs would be discussed...that the workers of our day may not only lay down their tools of labor for a holiday, but upon which they may touch shoulders in marching phalanx and feel the stronger for it."

Rule to Determine the Date of Labor Day:

Labor Day is observed on the first Monday in September

Reason We Celebrate Labor Day:

A celebration of workers.

So, what are you and yours doing this Labor Day? Picnic, parade, gatherings with family and friends? Unfortunately, this year my hubby and I both have to work, so we don't get to celebrate a long weekend. But, there is always tomorrow night - maybe a picnic will be in order.


Happy Labor Day to all!

1 comment:

Julia Phillips Smith said...

It's still Sunday as I'm writing this, so tomorrow I'll be pinching myself with glee at ending my world's first paid vacation. I've been part time or casual since I began working, pretty much. This past week I've had my friend visiting from Ontario, and the whole time I've been giddy with the knowledge that I've been paid while I've been off work. This has never, ever happened to me - and I'm 43. Thank you to my new union for getting this beautiful situation for me!!!!!

By the way, my late father-in-law was a very active member of the Brotherhood of Painters and Allied Trades in Toronto.