Thursday, December 11, 2008

??Deerloaf??


Several months ago when my life got insanely crazy, I quit blogging on my recipe blog, Rightmyer Recipes. I still love the idea of a family recipe blog, but I felt obligated to make several posts per week, and since cooking is NOT one of my passions, if been ignoring said blog.

However, I did try a new recipe - of my own invention - and I wanted to share it here on Rightmyer Rants. For regular visitors, you may remember my oldest daughter bagged a 15 point buck last month. Well, the meat has been processed and all our freezers are full! Because my hubby and youngest daughter love my meatloaf - made with ground turkey or chicken - last night I decided to try my hand at meatloaf using deerburger. Turned out pretty good, if I do say so myself!


Bobbi's Deerloaf

-1 pound deerburger (or ground beef, turkey or chicken)
-2 eggs, beaten
-1/2 cup chopped bell peppers
-1/4 cup chopped onion
-1 envelope onion soup mix
-1/2 cup tomato paste (or ketsup, in a pinch)
-1 box stuffing (Stovetop or generic brand)
-Salt and pepper to taste
-3 TBSP water (deerburger is very lean, so this keeps it moist)

Mix everything together in a large bowl (reserving half the tomato paste) until all ingredients are well incorporated. Spray a loaf pan with non-stick spray. Pack deerloaf into loaf pan and spread remaining tomato paste on top. Cover with aluminum foil and bake in a 350 degree oven for 45 minutes. Remove foil from pan and continue cooking for 15 more minutes. Allow to rest 10 minutes before slicing.

Yummy! There is always plenty to have for sandwiches the next day, and to take my mother-in-law a plate.

Remember, this kind of meatloaf,NOT this kind of Meatloaf!!!!

3 comments:

Lisa Brawner said...

That sounds really good. I like ground deer meat or a deer steak cooked real slow in the oven with onions . You are making me hungry this morning !!

Shelley said...

I will have to save this recipe for the hubby in the event he ever gets a deer!

Natalie said...

Hehehehe I LOVE the picture of Meatloaf the singer. Jeff brought home some deer meat stew that a guy he works with made today for lunch for all of them. It was yummy! I LOVE deer meat, but I do not hunt. So I have not found a deer meat supply here yet.