Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Way Back Wednesday - The Hudson Brothers' Razzle Dazzle Show

Since this is the last Way Back Wednesday of 2008, I've decided to be a little silly. Here is one of my favorite Saturday morning television shows from 1974 - I was 12 years old.
The Hudson Brothers were an American music group formed in Portland, Oregon in the 1970s and consisting of Bill Hudson (the father of Kate Hudson), Brett Hudson and Mark Hudson (a writer for Ringo Starr and Aerosmith). As a pre-teen, I was totally in love with the Hudson Brothers, especially the baby, Brett.

They starred in The Hudson Brothers Show, a TV variety hour Wednesday nights on CBS starting July 31, 1974 to August 28, 1974, followed by The Hudson Brothers Razzle Dazzle Show on CBS Saturday mornings, from September 7, 1974 to August 30, 1975, in a half-hour format. Amazingly, Video Service Corp. released the complete Razzle Dazzle series on DVD on June 17, 2008. (I don't own it yet, but it's on my wish list!)



This album, entitled "Totally Out of Control", was their first under the direction of Elton John and partner Bernie Taupin. It's a great power pop album loaded with hook-you-in melodies and typical sugar-pop lyrics - perfect for the budding teenager. This is the only Hudson Brothers album I own - may parents found it for me the Christmas of 1974 and I still have this old LP.

3 comments:

Shelley said...

I like the Hudson brothers too as a kid! thanks for the memories!

Julia Phillips Smith said...

I was 10 when that was on and definitely used to watch it. My favorite part? When they're loading everyone in and then comes 'The Bear!' LOL!

Unknown said...

Julia and Shelley,
You're the only 2 besides me who remember this show! I hope that doesn't mean we're getting old!!