...The Rocky Horror Picture Show is a 1975 British musical comedy that parodies science fiction and horror films. "Rocky Horror" is the first movie from a major film studio - 20th Century Fox - to be in the midnight movie market. It has a large international following and is one of the best known and most financially successful midnight movies of all time.
According to Wikipedia: In 2005, the film was selected for preservation in the United States National Film Registry by the Library of Congress as being "culturally, historically, or aesthetically significant."
The film is an adaption of the British musical stage production The Rocky Horror Show. Richard O'Brien - author of the stage show and Riff Raff in the movie - was assisted by Jim Sharman in writing the screenplay. The movie introduces Tim Curry and features Susan Sarandon and Barry Bostwick.
- Tim Curry as Dr. Frank-N-Furter: A scientist. Frank is a devious and flamboyant, hedonist transvestite, pansexual scientist.
- Susan Sarandon as Janet Weiss: A Heroine. Sweet and somewhat naive. Janet, recently engaged to Brad, succumbs to temptation.
- Barry Bostwick as Brad Majors: A hero. The clean-cut fiancé of Janet Weiss. Awkward and out of step, he finds himself in situations never before experienced.
- Richard O'Brien as Riff-Raff: A handyman. Frank's minion and Magenta's brother.
- Patricia Quinn as Magenta: A domestic. Magenta, the sister of Riff-Raff, is Frank's domestic.
- Nell Campbell (credited as Little Nell) as Columbia: A groupie. Columbia is the groupie, friend and self proclaimed lover of Frank, but also formerly involved with Eddie.
- Jonathan Adams as Dr. Everett Scott: A rival scientist. He was Brad and Janet's high school science teacher. He has come to the castle in search of his nephew Eddie, who has been murdered by Frank.
- Peter Hinwood as Rocky Horror: A Muscle-bound creation of Frank's, with blond hair and a tan, Rocky is mute except for his musical numbers.
- Charles Gray as The Criminologist: An expert. The film's narrator.
- Meat Loaf (credited as Meatloaf) as Eddie: An ex-delivery boy and Columbia's former boyfriend, provided cerebral material for Rocky.
The Criminologist: I would like, if I may, to take you on a strange journey.
Riff Raff: You've arrived on a rather special night. It's one of the master's affairs.
Riff Raff: With a bit of a mind flip...
Magenta: You're into a time slip...
Riff Raff: And nothing can ever be the same
The Criminologist: It's just a jump to the left.
All: And then a step to the right!
The Criminologist: With your hands on your hips...
All: You bring your knees in tight! But it's the pelvic thrust / That really drives you insane / Let's do the time warp again!
Dr. Frank-N-Furter: So, come up to the lab,/ and see what's on the slab!/ I see you shiver with antici... [long pause] ...pation./
Still in limited release nearly 34 years after its premiere, it has the longest running theatrical release in film history. It gained notoriety as a midnight movie in 1977 when audiences began participating with the film in theaters across the United States. The Kentucky Theatre in Lexington, Kentucky will have a midnight showing of The Rocky Horror Picture Show on Saturday, July 25th. Check out the website here.