Friday, October 30, 2009

Free Flowing Friday

There have been so many fabulous things that have happened this week, I almost don't know where to begin! So let me start with ...

1.)... I'M GOING TO BE A GRANDMOTHER IN 2010!! Yes, my middle daughter, Marie is expecting her first child on June 6, 2010 and I am so excited. I have been wanting grandchildren for several years now so this is wonderful news - makes me happy, happy, happy!

2.) I had a great niece born on Wednesday - Desiree Carter Semones made her appearance at 6:41pm, weighed 7 pounds and 10 ounces and was 21 inches long. Because of the swine flu, the hospital is not allowing visitors, so we've only been able to see her through the glass. My mom, Desiree's great Grandma has my camera so I should have some pictures later today. My niece, Ashley, did well during labor, but she was really missing her momma. I know my sister, Amy, is looking down and cuddling little Desiree with love.

3.) I sent my first freelance piece to KENTUCKY MONTHLY magazine this week - I'm so excited it will be in the Christmas issue. I've also sent several of my gifts for them to photograph, so I can't wait to see what they look like.

4.) I have finished my personal essay and my Super 70s article for the December issue of MERCER'S MAGAZINE. Now I have to start thinking about the new year - oh goody, a grandbaby!!!

5.) I'm on pins and needles about the job with the Ragged Edge Theatre. It's been over a week since the second interview and I know they are busy, but I'm getting nervous. The Theatre is putting on "The Legend of Sleepy Hollow" and the board has to discuss the candidates - maybe I'll hear the first of the week.

6.) I've read 3 very different books this week. The first one is by a Kentucky writing group - the KaBooM Writing Collective - entitled WHEN THE BOUGH BREAKS. This is a beautiful book of poetry and personal essays. The next book is a young adult fiction book, HOW TO BE A VAMPIRE by Amy Gray.. This is a campy little book with all the ins and outs of vampires. The last one was THE MURDER OF KING TUT by James Patterson.. I have mixed feelings on this one - it is a good story, but it is supposed to be non-fiction and I think it drags in that area.

7.) Taught 2 pumpkin carving classes this week - one to a mother-to-mother group and one to the English as a Second Language class. Kids and Japanese ladies - both groups were fun and interesting!

8.) I'm getting excited about the Kentucky Book Fair coming up next week - I will be in bookworm heaven! I am already making a list of the authors I want to meet and the books I want to buy. It starts at 9am next Saturday, November 7th.

9.) I have to do something about my chocolate consumption - it has gotten totally out of control! With all the Halloween candy laying around, I can't resist. I'm going to have to summon up the willpower to quit eating chocolate and lose this weight!

10.) Last, but not least, I'm going to an awards ceremony for my daughter this morning at school. She is being honored for having a 3.7 GPA. Senior year is bringing me lots of "last things" - this will be the last award ceremony and spring time will bring scholarship awards.

No comments: