Sunday, October 4, 2009

Open All Night

I had something interesting happen last night, but it has left a scary thought in my head. I have never wanted any of my children to work in an all night convenience store and this is just one more explain of why.

I ran in to the BP station next to our local Wendys last to pick up a 2 liter of Coke. Damn my Coke addiction - I'm a slave to this caffeiney, sugary drink! Anyway, the customer in front of my had already put gas in his car and he was buying 2 drinks and a package of cigarettes. As he got ready to pay, he had no money or a credit card with him. He pulled out his license and told the clerk he would have to run home and get his debt card. This poor little girl had no idea what to do.

Here she was, a young girl - she couldn't have been much older than my 17 year old - alone in a convenience store. She was the only person on duty. As a customer in line, I was actually afraid for her, because what was she going to do? Call the police and risk this guy getting violent? He walked out the door, yelling back over his shoulder he'd be back in 20 minutes.

Poor thing was shaking like a leaf and I told her to take a deep breath and try to calm down. I asked her if the license was current - and it was by only a few weeks - so I told her he would more than likely be back to get them. I gave her my name and telephone number and told her to call me if she needed a witness.

I don't think any employee - especially a woman - should be left alone in a convenience store - you never know what will happen! I resisted the urge to call back last night, mainly because I wanted to forget the whole them, so I don't know if the man came back or not. I "assume" he did because I have not received a call from the store.

Parents - be worried about your children if they work in all night convenience stores. In my open, they offer more risks than benefits when it comes to making money.

1 comment:

Lisa Brawner said...

that is a job i always have thought that women shouldnt work..too many chacnes to get hurt