Thursday, April 16, 2009

The Morning After LOST


SOME LIKE IT HOTH - Season 5, Episode 13 (#99)
Suspicions about a possible breach intensify after Ben is taken from the infirmary, and a reluctant Miles is forced to work with Hurley when he's asked to deliver an important package to a top Dharma official.

*****SPOILER ALERT*****

I enjoyed this episode because we got to see a lot more of Miles' background story. I've been wondering what he has to do with the Island and now I know - he's supposed to hear the dead.

Ah ha moment: Miles is the baby we saw in this seasons 1st episodes and cooky Dr. Chang is his father.



What the hell moment: Okay, another reference to "Do you know what lies in the shadow of the statue?" What does that mean? And who was the guy Miles was talking to? Was he a friend of Ilana’s?

Hubba-Hubba moment: I'm sorry, but I kinda liked the punk rock Miles - the hair and all those piercings - I'm just saying, I'm not too old to appreciate!

Holy mackerel moment: Miles was born on the Island - further proof that not all babies born on the Island die.



Funniest moment: Hurley writing the screenplay for "The Empire Strikes Back" - hilarious!!! Also, the entire scene with Hurley and Miles in the van - they remind me of Abbott and Costello!

What I missed: Once again, I miss Rose and the other castaways; I missed Sun, Frank and Locke; hell, I even missed Ben. And where did Smokey go?

Famous last words: "You're now in the Circle of Trust" - be afraid, be very afraid ...

Best flash back When Miles was a little boy and he found the dead man - I guess this was the first time he had actually heard a dead person talking to him.



Best quote of the night: 4 8 15 16 23 42 ... When Hurley said, "Cause they're building our hatch." Well, duh ... Also when Hurley said, "It’ll help with global warming, which hasn’t happened yet. So, maybe we can prevent it."

I don't understand moment: Okay, I knew Miles and Naomi were on the freighter together, but this was the first time we saw the 2 of them together before the Island. I get that part, but the part I didn't understand is why Whidmore wanted Miles to go to the Island. I know he can hear dead people, but what dead people does Whidmore want to hear? The dead Dharmas, the dead Others, the dead Hostiles ...?? And when she says "the island has an number of deceased individuals residing on it", does she mean residing in graves or actually living on the Island?

Blast from the past: All the Star Wars references that Hurley made - classic Hurley.

Best "pay back's a bitch" moment: You piss off Sawyer and you'll get a smack down ... "Get some rope."

Whoa moment: Whoa, what are they doing with the dead bodies?

And I had to look up the meaning of HOTH - even though I like the Star Wars movie, I'm not part of the fandom.



Hoth was the sixth planet of the remote Hoth system. A desolate world covered with ice and snow, located in the Anoat Sector, a rarely-traveled portion of the Outer Rim Territories, it became famous as the one-time location of the Alliance to Restore the Republic's Echo Base during the Galactic Civil War. It was also the site of the Battle of Hoth, a major engagement between Imperial and Rebel forces.
(Thank you Wookieepedia)

3 comments:

Heather J. @ TLC Book Tours said...

Ok, am I the ONLY ONE who got the Hoth reference?! Yes, I am a complete nerd, I know. ~LOL~

I completely agree about punk Miles - he was a cutie! I've always been partial to tattoos and piercings ...

Not sure what Sawyer is going to do with Phil but "get some rope" is mighty ominous.

This was a great episode IMO. I'm not exciting about next week's Clip Show though.

Kacie said...

HUGE questions hinted at in this episode. Yes, the guy that talked to Miles was called Bram, and he was on the beach with Ilana, so they are in the same group. The question is, who are they, what is their mission, etc.

I personally think they are original inhabitants of the island - the ones that built the temple, the statue, etc. I think Alpert is one of them too, and that they don't age. I'm so excited to see if I'm right!

Oh, and the comment "the island has an number of deceased individuals residing on it", I think is a reference to the fact that (I think) Smokey inhabits bodies and uses them to communicate with people. He's used Yemi, Alex, Christian Shepherd, and now I believe he's using John Locke. I think the real John Locke is still dead, and his body is just being used.

You can read about it on my blog:
http://kaciesmixedmedia.blogspot.com/2009/04/lost-reactions-some-like-it-hoth.html

Cainan & Ryker said...

I think my husband would divorce me and my sons would disown me if I didn't know what Hoth was. LOL

I think babies born on the island were all fine until they uncovered the leaking atomic bomb that the old Others buried in concrete. I think they are going to do that soon on this construction site....thus ripping fillings from peoples heads, rendering women incapible of giving birth and dragging planes out of the sky.