Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Way Back Wednesday - JAWS

Jaws is a 1975 horror thriller film directed by Steven Spielberg, his second theatrical film and very first blockbuster, which made him a household name. This movie is based on Peter Benchley's best-selling novel of the same name.

The movie takes place in the fictional summer resort of Amity Island where the police chief, Martin Brody – played by Roy Scheider – tries to protect residents from a great white shark. The town council overrules Brody’s decision to shut down the beach during tourist season, and we all know what happens next. It is open buffet season for the great white.



After several shark attacks, Brody enlists the help of a marine biologist, Matt Hooper – played by Richard Dreyfuss - and a professional shark hunter, Quint – played by Robert Shaw to help him track down the shark and kill it. I loved Richard Dreyfuss' portrayal of Hooper - I've been in love with his acting since The Goodbye Girl!

Although the movie scared me senseless and made me nervous just swimming in a pool, it wasn’t the images that scared me the most – it was the theme music. Written by legendary John Williams, the score to “Jaws” still evokes cold chills down my spine every time I hear it. My favorite quote: “I think we’re going to need a bigger boat” - famous last words. Da da, da da ...

Jaws is considered the father of the summer blockbuster movie. The film was followed by three sequels, none with the participation of Spielberg or Benchley and none as successful as the original: Jaws 2 (1978), Jaws 3-D (1983) and Jaws: The Revenge (1987). A video game titled Jaws Unleashed was produced in 2006.

No comments: