Saturday, May 2, 2009

My Derby Pick


I have a truly scientific way of picking my Kentucky Derby horse - I always bet on the gray horse or the filly. This year it will be #12, General Quarters.



At age 75, Tom McCarthy, a retired biology teacher and high school principal, on the fringes of horse racing for five decades, has his Derby horse. McCarthy claimed General Quarters - a gorgeous gray colt - last year for $20,000, and the colt has already won the prestigious Blue Grass Stakes, which earned McCarthy $460,000. Before General Quarters, the trainer had career earnings of $229,020.



There is one very strong factor that could given General Quarters an edge: That's the weather. With a 70 percent chance of rain and a sloppy track, General Quarters is one of only a handful of horses that has performed well on muddy tracks.

Isn't he beautiful? And he loves the slop! A gray horse that can run on an off track - what could be better?

(Photo copyright David Stephenson of the Lexington Herald-Leader)

1 comment:

Laura Frantz said...

Thanks for the great Derby pics! I missed it as I was at a birthday bbq today for a female jockey so guess that counts as something:) Now I don't feel so bad for missing it, thanks to your post here.