Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Way Back Wednesday - Ghost

After being killed during a botched mugging, a man's love for his partner enables him to remain on earth as a ghost.
Ghost is a 1990 romantic drama film starring Patrick Swayze, Demi Moore, Tony Goldwyn and Whoopi Goldberg, written by Bruce Joel Rubin and directed by Jerry Zucker. It was nominated for multiple Academy Awards, including Best Picture, winning for Best Original Screenplay, as well as Best Supporting Actress for Whoopi Goldberg.

Sam Wheat (Swayze) and Molly Jensen (Moore) are a happy and loving couple living in New York City. Sam has a problem with saying "I love you" to his girlfriend, only responding to her saying it with "ditto". This bothers Molly, who feels she needs to hear him say "I love you" in return.

Returning from the theatre one night, they encounter a thief who pulls a gun and shoots Sam. Sam apparently gets up and chases the theif, but loses him; when he returns to Molly, he sees her cradling his own corpse, and realizes that he is now a ghost, trapped between worlds. Lights descend to take him away, but he flees.

Fearing that Molly is in danger, Sam remains earthbound in order to protect Molly. Sam is frustrated because he cannot communicate with Molly - until he meets Oda Mae (Goldberg), a con artist posing as a medium. Oda Mae soon realizes she is a true medium and Sam convinces her to help him save Molly.

Ghost won 2 Academy Awards: Best Original Screenplay and Best Supporting Actress for Whoopi Goldberg. Ghost was the top money-making movie of 1990, earning over $505 million world-wide.

Favorite quotes:

Sam: Molly, you're in danger.
Oda Mae: You can't just blurt it out like that! And quit moving around, because you're starting to make me dizzy. I'll just tell her in my own way.
[pause; then, to Molly]
Oda Mae: Molly, you in danger girl.

Sam: I'm Henry the 8th I am. Henry the 8th I am I am. I got married to the widow next door. She's been married seven times before.

Molly: I love you. I really love you.
Sam: Ditto

The iconic pottery wheel scene - performed to "Unchained Melody" by The Righteous Brothers - has been named one of the sexiest scenes in modern movie history.

1 comment:

Thomma Lyn said...

I saw Ghost in the movie theater... ha, I'm dating myself! ;) And the pottery wheel scene -- yes, very very high Sexy Quotient.

I hope you and your hubby had a wonderful anniversary yesterday!