Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Faith and Begorrah

"Faith and Begorrah" - it's St. Patty's Day again! Green beer for everyone!

I'm not an Irish woman - and I don't play one on TV - but I am interested in many things Irish. From what I've learned over ye ole internet, "faith and begorrah" roughly translates to "By God." Begorrah apparently is a made up term used by Irish ancestors as an opening expression, but the word does exist in the English dictionary as an emphatic Irish exclamation.

Saint Patrick's Day is an annual feast day which celebrates Saint Patrick (circa AD 385–461), one of the patron saints of Ireland, and is generally celebrated on March 17. The day is the national holiday of Ireland. In the United States, it is widely celebrated but is not an official holiday.




And NO, you can't pinch me - I wore green today !!

.

1 comment:

Liz said...

Ahahaa. Well among many things, my mother's side of the family is heavily Irish influenced. I didn't wear green clothing today, but did wear a necklace that got snagged around my desk somehow and I popped a bead off >__< So I'm going to crochet up a little chain real quick and tie it in my hair LOL!