Monday, January 19, 2009

Open Mouth, Insert Foot

Just before Barack Obama choose Joe Biden to be his Vice-Presidential running mate, my hubby and I speculated that the choice would probably be between Biden and Hillary Clinton. I told my hubby: "One will be Veep, the other will be Secretary of State."

Well, today on OPRAH, Joe Biden's wife let it slip that Obama gave Biden the choice of being Vice President or Secretary of State. She said Biden choose Veep because he would remain closer to home and would be able to spend time with his family.

Now, this in no way makes me doubt Obama because I like both Clinton and Biden. I think Clinton would have been wasted as Veep - she will be much more effective as Secretary of State.

But I do wonder - what other deals were made that we don't know about?? I guess only time will tell.

As for me, I'll be glued to the Inauguration coverage tomorrow - just like the rest of America.

1 comment:

Julia Phillips Smith said...

Bobbi, I'm wearing red, white and blue to work tomorrow. I'm a dual citizen of the US and Canada, and all day tomorrow I'll be celebrating in Canada the miracle taking place below the 49th parallel.

In my humble opinion, all politics are done through secret deals we know nothing about. The public stuff is simply window dressing.

Do I feel that Obama can handle those push-comes-to-shove deals? Yes I do. Do I feel that Clinton can handle the international form of push-comes-to-shove? Absolutely. Biden 'lets slip' this detail, but that's not how it went down. Biden's response to Obama's question - and Clinton's, to the same question - was what Obama needed to make his decision.