Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Way Back Wednesday - The Wicker Man

The Wicker Man is a classic cult 1973 British film filmed in Scotland, combining thriller, existential horror and musical genres, directed by Robin Hardy and written by Anthony Shaffer. The film is a serious and literate thriller about modern paganism and stars Edward Woodward.

The story synopsis follows a Scottish police officer, Sergeant Neil Howie, visiting the isolated island of Summerisle, in the search for a missing girl. The inhabitants of Summerisle all follow a reconstucted form of Celtic paganism, which shocks and appalls the devoutly Christian Sergeant.


Edward Woodward as Sergeant Howie
Christopher Lee as Lord Summerisle
Britt Ekland as Willow
Ingrid Pitt as Librarian
Lindsay Kemp as Alder MacGregor
Irene Sunters as May Morrison
Walter Carr as School Master
Gerry Cowper as Rowan Morrison
Ian Campbell as Oak

An American remake, starring Nicolas Cage and Ellen Burstyn was released on 1 September 2006, but it doesn't capture the same feeling of the original movie.

My family owns the special limited edition of the movie marketed in a wooden box and the title burned into the top. I moved this movie up in my queue for Way Back Wednesday because me daughter and I recently watched it while my hubby was away from home.

1 comment:

Shelley said...

When I saw the preview w/ Nic Cage - I didn't quite get it to go see it. Glad you reviewed this - sounds like the older version is better.