Friday, July 25, 2008

High School Scheduling

I'm going to apologize right now, but I'm about to go off on a rant - so don't say I didn't warn you!

My youngest daughter will be in the 11th grade this year and she is so excited about school starting. Believe it or not, she goes back on August 4th, only 10 days away. She has been working on homework all summer for her AP English class - she had 4 books to read and several papers to write. Hopefully, everything will be finished by next week.

However, she got her new school schedule in the mail today, and when I came home from work, she was in near tears! She was not assigned to ANY of the classes she asked for! Not one single class!!!

So, mother bear that I am, I called the school and talked to some RUDE woman who said schedule changes couldn't be made until August 1st for the 11th graders. I tried to explain to her this was more than a simple schedule change, but she refused to let me talk to anyone else. I was FURIOUS!!!!

Number one, they have my daughter in an regular English class. Excuse me, but my daughter is way too smart to be in a regular English class. Right now, she is ranked number 32 out of 276 students - #32! How does someone this smart get overlooked by the school guidance counselors?

Number two, she signed up to take the medical classes at the Vocational School, but they didn't bother to give her any classes at the Vocational School. I had talked with the principal about 6 weeks before school let out for summer and he assured me my daughter would have no problem getting into the Vocational program. I guess the guidance counselors don't listen to the principal, or else he just told me what I wanted to hear.

Number three, she signed up for Honors History, and again they put her in a regular History class. See number one.

Number four, the other classes they assigned her to - in place of the Vocational classes - were lower level classes. Let me tell you, it ain't going to happen!!

After venting and ranting to my hubby, I have decided I will call the school again Monday morning and I will continue to call until they do something about this fucking mistake!

No wonder kids have so much trouble in school. If the guidance counselors don't care any more for the students than to PENALIZE a student for making good grades, then they need to get rid of the whole bunch and start again.

Our school system has been through the wringer this year anyway, with a Superintendent that has lied to parents and staff, and a Board of Education that has nearly bankrupted us. If parents don't stand together for their children, then who will?

Okay, I'm stepping off my soap box. The ranting is over ... until next week.

To be continued ...

4 comments:

Alice said...

No...don't get off that soap box. You're gonna need it when you get down to that school.

That's just terrible. I hope you straighten it all out this week.

Apple Joos said...

Ooooh! I saw your comment over at Jen's blog about watching Rocky Horror Picture show and I knew I had to come check out your blog. I saw that you have the worm from Labyrinth as your picture and I knew I was going to like you. "No, I said 'allo, but that's close enough." THEN! I read this post and you dropped the EFF bomb and now, I think you might just be ny new best friend.

Apple Joos said...

I'll definitely check back. I just saw your review for Labyrinth, too, so I'll check that out while I'm waiting.

As for being a vegetarian, I think animals are super tasty, too. Or I used to anyway. I explain how I got here in one of my blogs from a while back. It's not your typical story about seeing scary videos or things like that. Pretty much, my body had a mutany and my tastebuds and I lost.

Andrea's Sweet Life said...

Pester, pester, pester them. Go down there, if you have to, and follow someone around until they take you to the person you need to see. This is your daughter's FUTURE! No soap box required, girlfriend.