Wednesday, July 2, 2008

July Comes In With Sparkles



Can you believe it's already July?! Believe it or not, there are only 176 more days until Christmas! Yes, I'm one of those people - people who start annoying everyone with a countdown to Christmas.

The 4th of July has always been one of those holidays that gives me the freedom to pig out on hot dogs, hamburgers and ice cream. What am I saying! - I actually have those kinds of days every week, hence the reason I can't get my jeans buttoned some mornings. But, with the 4th picnic basket, you also get fireworks.

I've always been a sucker for fireworks - ohhing and ahhing over all the sparkly bursts of color. I love big starbursts, especially the ones that start out one color and then change to a different color. I also like the sizzly ones that zip thru the air. I do not like the loud retorts when a dud is shot off!

Although our hometown fireworks are nothing compared to Thunder Over Louisville, I do enjoy them. Harrodsburg's fireworks are held at our community Anderson-Dean Park and admission is free with donations of canned food, which go to the Christian Life Center Pantry. For the past 3 years we have been able to see the fireworks show from the Twin Hills Drive-In, which is located near the park (we still donate to the Christian Life Center). There's nothing better than watching a fireworks display and then being able to watch 2 movies from the comfort of your car - or a lawnchair, if you want. This year, the fireworks display will be on THURSDAY night, not Friday the 4th.

My hubby has always been the King of Fireworks at our home, so after the big displays of sparks and booms from the park, we usually have another showing at home. Fountains, sparklers, bottle rockets (I forgot, they're illegal - just forget I mentioned them), smoke bombs - you name it and my hubby has probably used them at one time or another.

So while the 4th of July is a holiday of celebration, don't forget to watch your young children. Fireworks should never be used by children, and they should be keep as far away as possible. For tips on keeping your children safe during the 4th, check out The National Council on Fireworks Safety.

Happy 4th everyone!

No comments: