Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Way Back Wednesday - Labyrinth






As you can probably tell from my avatar, Labyrinth is one of my favorite movies. Labyrinth is a 1986 fantasy film, directed by Jim Henson, produced by George Lucas, and designed by Brian Froud. Henson collaborated on the screenwriting with children's author Dennis Lee and Monty Python alumnus Terry Jones. The leads are David Bowie as Jareth the Goblin King, and Jennifer Connelly as Sarah Williams. The plot revolves around Sarah's quest to rescue her little brother from the Goblin King while trapped in a world that is an enormous underground maze. Most of the other significant roles are played by puppets or by a combination of puppetry and human performance. It was shot on location in New York and at Elstree Studios in the UK. It was the last feature film directed by Henson before his death in 1990.

Favorite lines from the movie:

WORM: 'Allo.
SARAH: Did you say hello?
WORM: No, I said 'allo, but that's close enough.
SARAH: Your're a worm, aren't you?
WORM: Yeah, that's right.
SARAH: Do you know the way through this labyrinth?
WORM: No. I'm just a worm.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
ALPH: You can only ask one of us.
RALPH: It's in the rules.
RALPH: One of us always tells the truth,
RALPH: and one of us always lies.
RALPH: He always lies.
ALPH: I do not! I tell the truth!
RALPH: Oh, what a lie!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
JARETH: If I thought for one second you were betraying me, I'd be forced to suspend you headfirst in the Bog of Eternal Stench!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
WISEMAN'S HAT: Ah! It's so stimulating being your hat.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
KNOCKER2: It's no good talking to him. He's deaf as a post.
KNOCKER1: Mumble, mumble.
KNOCKER2: You're a wonderful conversational companion. All you do is moan.
KNOCKER1: No good. Can't hear you.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
JARETH: And, Hoggle, if she ever kisses you, I'll turn you into a Prince.
HOGGLE: Y-you will?
JARETH: Prince of the Land of Stench! Ha ha ha!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
FIREY: Hey, her head don't come off!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
DIDYMUS: And none may pass without my permission!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
SARAH: Through dangers untold and hardships unnumbered, I have fought my way here to the castle beyond the Goblin City,for my will is as strong as yours ... and my - and my kindgom is great. Kingdom is great ...damn! I can never remember that line. My kingdom is great. My kingdom is great. You have no power over me. YOU HAVE NO POWER OVER ME!

1 comment:

Chile said...

My fave

Hoggle: "It's not fair!"

Sarah: "That's right, It's not fair, but that's the way it is!"