Thursday, July 17, 2008

Thursday Thirteen #4 - My Favorite Movies

For this edition of Thursday Thirteen, I'm going to list my top 13 films. With the exception of number one, they are in no particular order.

1.) A Fish Called Wanda: This is my number one favorite movie. To see a review of this movie, check my post for Way Back Wednesday







2.) Labyrinth: This was the last film that Jim Henson worked on before his death. To see a review of this movie, check my post at Way Back Wednesday








3.) Say Anything: This is probably the most romantic film of all time. John Cusack is wonderful as Lloyd Dobler - he's such a cutie. This film is directed by one of my one of my favorite directors, Cameron Crowe of Fast Times at Ridgemont High and Almost Famous fame.





4.) Harry Potter Movies - I can't pick just one. Okay, so I'm a Harry Potter geek - sue me! I think I like these films so much because the same actors have grown up with their characters. Each book in this series has aged the characters by one year, so it's great to see the movie characters grow as well. Alan Rickman - as Professor Snape - is one of my favorites.





5.) The Wizard of Oz: Need I say more? This movie is a classic for children and adults of all ages. It's timeless!







6.) Little Women: Little Women is one of my favorite books from childhood, and although there have been several movies based on the novel, the 1994 version with Winona Ryder, Gabriel Byrne, Susan Sarandon, and Kirsten Dunst is my favorite. I watch this movie at least once a year, usually at Christmas time.






7.) Dracula: Anyone who reads my blogs knows by now that I love vampires, be it books, movies or television series. But many don't know that my obsession started with the 1931 version starring Bela Lugosi. I own the Dracula boxed set that also includes the classic Dracula's Daughter, Son of Dracula, and House of Dracula.






8.) Dances with Wolves: This film - directed by and starring Kevin Costner - is a beautiful portrait of early American life in the wild west. From his gory beginning to his self-imposed solitary confinement to his love of Stands-with-a-Fist, this movie is 3 1/2 hours of poetry.






9.) Gone with the Wind: This one is self-explanatory; Scarlett O'Hara and Rhett Butler are iconic characters that you enjoy watching over and over.






10.) Kill Bill: Vol 1 and Vol 2: Quentin Tarantino is one of my favorite writers and directors, and Kill Bill Vol 1 and 2 are pure genius. Uma Thurman plays the Bride to perfection; she is one tough cookie. The music soundtracks from both films are wonderful as well.







11.) Planet of the Apes: The orginal, NOT the Tim Burton re-imaging. I fell in love with Planet of the Apes when I was seven years old. I own all 5 movies AND the short-lived television series. I don't know what it is about the apes, but they just appeal to my inner child.




12.) The Wall: Written by Pink Floyd's Roger Waters and directed by Alan Parker is based on the 1979 double album "The Wall" by Pink Floyd. This movie is brillant and a classic for all ages.





13.) Grindhouse: This double movie contains Death Proof by Quentin Tarantino (need I say more) and Planet Terror by Robert Rodriguez. These movies were done in the old style of drive-in "grindhouse" and they contain intentional scratches and film crinkles you would have seen at a drive-in theater. Of the two movies, Death Proof - starring Kurt Russell - is my favorite.

2 comments:

Julia Phillips Smith said...

GREAT list, Bobbi.

The 'Harry Potter's, 'Wizard of Oz', 'Gone With the Wind', 'the 'Kill Bill's, 'Death Proof' and the original 'Planet of the Apes' - yeah, baby!!

Unknown said...

For some reason, I just knew we had a lot in common!