Friday, August 8, 2008

Friday Facts - Breastfeeding

For this edition of Friday Facts, I've decided to focus on breastfeeding. There are two main reasons for this: #1, August is National Breastfeeding Month; and #2, I'm ashamed of my home state of Kentucky for not standing up for the rights of breastfeeding mothers.

Yesterday at a McDonald's in Berea, Kentucky, a breastfeeding mother was asked to leave the restaurant because she was nursing her 4 month old son. I'm appalled at law enforcement and the McDonald's Corporation; no wonder Kentucky ranks 50th when it comes to pro-breastfeeding states!

Breastfeeding Facts:

--Breastfeeding will help your uterus shrink back to prepregnancy size more quickly, which will in turn reduce the flow of lochia (postpartum discharge) more rapidly. (Clapclapbaby.com)

--Breastfeeding may lower a child's blood pressure later in life. (Breastfeeding.com)

--Breast-fed babies have fewer gastrointestinal infections. (Medline Plus)

--Babies who are breastfed have fewer illnesses and are better nourished than those who are fed other drinks and foods. (Unicef.org)

--Reduces exposure to harmful chemicals in plastic nipples and bottles. (The Labor of Love)

--Breastfeeding reduces a mother's risk of breast, ovarian, cervical and uterine cancer. (The Labor of Love)

--Breastfeeding gives infants all the nutrients they need for healthy development. It is safe and contains antibodies that help protect infants from common childhood illnesses - such as diarrhoea and pneumonia, the two primary causes of child mortality worldwide. (WHO International)

--Breastfed babies have a lower risk for Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS). (ISDH)

--Human milk contains just the right amount of fatty acids, lactose, water, and amino acids for human digestion, brain development, and growth. (FDA)

--Human milk contains at least 100 ingredients not found in formula. No babies are allergic to their mother's milk, although they may have a reaction to something the mother eats. (FDA)

--Premature babies do better when breastfed compared to premature babies who are fed formula. (Women's Health)

--Breastfeeding can protect your baby from developing allergies. (Baby Center)


As a former breastfeeder of three children, my hat's off to all breastfeeding moms and their babies.

5 comments:

Alice said...

The US can be so backwards when it comes to something natural. URGHH!

But then, if you think about it...isn't the Creation Museum in Kentucky? Hahahhahahaa

Apple Joos said...

I'm one of the few women that physically couldn't breastfeed my children. I tried but I just didn't make enough milk. I worked so hard taking every single suggestion doctors/lactation consultants/strangers on the street gave me and nothing helped. With both of them, I finally had to give up and formula feed them when the peds were saying they weren't "thriving". It was hard for me because A) it's so expensive! and B) I was bombarded with the information about how I was shortchanging my children because they weren't breastfed.

Years later, looking at how healthy they are, I have peace with the fact that it just didn't work for us. I did the best I could.

The Nice One said...

Great post! I can't believe that in the year 2008 someone was actually kicked out of a McDonalds for nursing. McDonalds...the PICTURE of healthy feeding for kids...Yup.

Elissa L. said...

I am right with Apple Joos. I tried and tried and tried and just could not produce any milk for my Phi. I tried for 3 months and tried everything. I had a lactating consultant that tried to help but nothing! And now with all her allergies I live with this guilt that if maybe I was able to breastfeed her she would not have all these rashes.

EatPlayLove said...

I am currently weaning my 20 month old and nursed my first for 2 years. I am done with it, but feel so lucky I could provide my girls with breastmilk for so long!

Shame on mcdonalds..I am sure they wouldn't think twice to a mom putting coca cola in a sippy cup though!

in colorado, the ladies whip out their boobs everywhere and people still get up in arms about it.

there are bare breasts everywhere, but gosh when they are nourishing children, they are so offensive?!