Monday, August 4, 2008

School Days, School Days


School days, school days - dear old golden rules day. Readin' and ritin' and 'rithmatic, taught to the tune of a hicr'y stix!



Today is the first day of school for Mercer County. Even with all the hubbub about her schedule, my youngest daughter was anxious to get back classes. Of my three daughters, she is the one who loves school.

Of course, the resumption of school is always the time when we start getting our life back on schedule. After two months of yard work and gardening until dark, reading to escape the heat, and sometimes suppers of just ice cream, it's time for a little more organization.

I don't know about you, but my life just seems to run more smoothly when our family is on a schedule. It is easier for me to schedule time to write than it is to try and fit it in haphazardly. Like many of you, I'm a list maker - but making lists doesn't always guarantee I'll get everything done!

So, what does my list look like for this week? Since I started August by joining the Discretionary Eating Challenge, the first thing I plan to do is cook supper at least 5 nights a week - no more eating out! The second thing I plan to do is give myself at least 2 hours a day for writing; I've been a little lax this summer, so that's all going to change. And the third thing I plan to do is get more exercise; I plan to walk every morning before work and again in the evening. These are the 3 things I plan to change in my life for August.

What about you? Are your children ready for the return to school? Does your family work smoother on a schedule?

3 comments:

Deanna said...

I am not ready for school. I have the "Back to School" blues in a major way and school doesn't start until Thursday. I love having my boys at home. We stick to a schedule whether it is school time or summer time. One is more strict than the other, but both are schedules either way.

Tash said...

The American school year is quite different to the British - my Mum and brother (both teachers!) only started their summer vacation about a week ago and wont go back to school until September!

It makes me long for my school holidays, the 33 days that I get just don't seem like enough!

Missy said...

I agree completely. Even though my little one is not school-age yet, the kids I work with are, and it is much more structured once they're back. Just the fact that fall is coming gives me a sense of impending calm! Then we have some kids in Jefferson Cty that have year-round school, which messes me all up! How could they?