Saturday, August 2, 2008

We Are Robin Hood

I'm almost too overcome for words! OMG! I did not see that ending coming.

Robin and his Gang arrive in the Holy Land; but the Sheriff, Guy of Gisborne, and Marian are already there. When Robin warns the King of the impending threat to his life, the Sheriff is one step ahead having sent the King a secret message that Robin is a threat. Instead of a warm welcome, Robin and the Gang are accused of treason against the King. The King orders the execution of our heroes, but decides to let the desert exact the punishment. The six are tied to poles and left to suffer the consequences of the desert.

Marian makes a final attempt to redeem Gisborne, telling him if he kills the Sheriff, he will have everything he wants, including her. Will fear of the Sheriff or the smell of power win the struggle for Gisborne? I was surprised that Gisborne finally turned away from Marian and followed the Sheriff. I thought for sure, Guy would be tempted by Marian's offer. Instead, he betrays her to the Sheriff.

The battle for England is on. Will Robin be released in time to save the King's life? Yes. Will Marian escape from the clutches of the Sheriff and Gisborne? No. High stakes and, ultimately, tragedy ensue ... the season ends, in the finest tradition of season finales everywhere, with a marriage, a death, and a parting of friends.

But I'm not happy!!!

I have wanted Robin and Marian to get together from the very first episode, so why did they finally get married, only to have Giborne of all people, take her life? I'm not sure the series can stand the death of Marian - she, not Robin, is the heart and soul of the show.

So, now - what will happen to Robin in Season 3? What will happen to Gisborne? Gisborne was so close to being a good guy and having his dreams come true - I don't think he will ever be the same again. And what of the Sheriff? Now that the King knows the truth, how will the Sheriff be able to hid from all his enemies.

The finale revelations and envitable subsequent cast changes will make for an interesting start to Robin Hood Season 3. Good news for all female fans of the show: Guy of Gisbourne (Richard Armitage) survives to fight another day, but Robin Hood (Jonas Armstrong) is set to leave the series after Season 3. With Djaq staying in the Holy Land with Will,(thanks to everyone who caught my Freudian slip in the original post - of course I can tell the difference between Will and Alan) who will be that strong female lead the show so deparately needs? Marian (Lucy Griffiths) will be sorely missed.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

WTF are you talking about? You sure you watched the finale dearie as you have all your facts WRONG!
Go back, watch again!

Anonymous said...

another anon here, but i have to agree with anons comment.

can you not tell the difference between allan and will?

you really should get your facts straight before you write.

Anonymous said...

There are quite a few of us women who think Robin Hood is the main attraction, not Sir Guy of Gisborne.

Unknown said...

Yes, I'm one of those women for whom the main attraction is Robin Hood.

Julia Phillips Smith said...

Bobbi - your only typo is saying Allan stayed in the Holy Land, when it's Will. Easily fixed - right, several Anons? Everything else is spot on.

I'm a huge Guy of Gisborne fan, but precisely because he's so edgey. Though it still freaks me out (I saw this season ender a few months ago) - I STILL can't stop wondering what's going to happen to Guy. I agree - he's going to lose his mind for a bit, methinks. But at the very moment it happened, it made sense dramatically. This is a rare window on what happens to all of those domestic murder victims, killed by their lovers.

I will definitely miss Marian. And her dynamic with Guy. But I knew she truly loved Robin, and his grief was heartbreaking. I'm wondering whether she'll make brief appearances as a ghostly taunting presence for Guy. Probably in flashbacks, at the very least. I'm certain he's going to go mad for the first bit of series 3. And I'm just the kind of person who can't wait to watch him slide into that spiral of torment.

Unknown said...

I know, I know - I switched Allan and Will - it certainly wasn't intentional! I was in such a hurry when I wrote the post, I didn't go back and proof read - so sorry all.

Djaq is one of my favorite characters because she is such a strong woman and I've known most season she was in love with Will, even though she didn't really voice it out loud until episode #12.

Other than that "Freudian slip", everything else is correct. I rewatched the episode with my hubby when he got home from work last night. We are both mystified about what will happen in Season 3.

Julia Phillips Smith said...

I always loved that part from season 1 - 'Tattoo? What Tattoo?' - where both Allan and Will urge the gang to rescue Djac. "I think I love her" they both blurt out. Magic!

I think it speaks to the power of the show that audiences get so freaked out by Marian's death. If we didn't care deeply about the characters, we wouldn't feel such shock. I just love British series - the writing is so, so strong. The acting rocks. I can't get enough of them.

Julia Phillips Smith said...

Me again. Here's a link from RichardArmitageOnline.com (the Articles tab up top):

Interview with Richard with preview info for series 3.

Lynda said...

Sir Guy of Gisborne is the main attraction for me. I like a man not a boy!

I loved Richard Armitage in Elizabeth Gaskell's 'North and South' shown on BBC in the UK. I fell in love with him then!

Unknown said...

Jonas Armstrong is hardly a boy! He's 27 years old - and gorgeous!