Friday, August 15, 2008

No Harry Potter in 2008

It was announced yesterday that Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince has been bumped from the fall lineup and won't hit theaters until July 17, 2009! Be still my heart! Of all the movies debuting this fall, Harry Potter was the one I was so looking forward to!

According to Warner Brothers:
“[L]ike every other studio, we are still feeling the repercussions of the writers’ strike, which impacted the readiness of scripts for other films—changing the competitive landscape for 2009 and offering new windows of opportunity that we wanted to take advantage of. We agreed the best strategy was to move Half-Blood Prince to July, where it perfectly fills the gap for a major tent pole release for mid-summer.”

This is now going to bump the release of Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows - already divided into 2 separate movies - to late 2010 and 2011.

So what else is going to happen in the world of movies? Also debuting on July 17, 2009 is Will Farrell's Land of the Lost through Universal Pictures. Will Universal now jump ship and move Land of the Lost? Land of the Lost was my favorite television show when I was a young girl (the original, not the crappy remake that came out a few years ago).


Just last week, it was announced that Paramount's new Star Trek movie has been bumped from a December 2008 debut to May 2009. I've already been waiting YEARS for a new Star Trek movie - now we have to wait 10 more months.

What does everyone else think of this change in schedule? Or am I the only one upset because I'm having to wait longer for a beloved movie?

Postscript: Heather from Mindless Junque sent me this email:
It might be just a rumor, but I heard that the Twilight movie premiere is moving up to November 21st since Harry Potter is delayed. WOOO HOOO!!!

If so, that's a goooooooood thing!

4 comments:

Sherri said...

Dang Writer's Strike!!!

Keys to the Magic Travel said...

Wow...I hadn't heard that it had been moved. And I just saw a preview on youtube. And I didn't even know that they were going to split up the Deathly Hallows. And how did I miss that you have this blog too? Evidently I have been confined to my basement for far too long...

Anonymous said...

I usually tend to get initially disappointed when a movie gets bumped back, but then I forget about it until it arrives.

That said, there are scenes in Deathly Hallows I can't wait to see Dan Radcliffe and Ralph Fiennes play.

Anonymous said...

This is great info to know.