Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Try-It Tuesdays

Mrs. Whos Open Book has just joined Mr. Linky and started Try-It Tuesdays.

So, for my first Try-It Tuesday, I want to share with you a new recipe I found for Honey Oatmeal Wheat Bread. This recipe is from the blog, 5 Minutes For Going Green.



Honey Oatmeal Wheat Bread
--3 cups boiling water
--1 1/2 cups oatmeal
--3/4 cup warm water (at least 110 degrees)
--3 pkgs of yeast
--1/2 cup honey or brown sugar (I used brown sugar)
--1/3 cup canola oil
--2 tsp salt
--3 to 4 cups whole wheat flour
--4 to 5 cups all-purpose flour

Pour boiling water over oatmeal in a large mixing bowl. Cool to lukewarm (this may take a couple of hours, so plan accordingly).

Dissolve yeast in warm water. Let stand until foamy (about 10 minutes). Add yeast to oatmeal mixture. Add honey or brown sugar and oil. Blend well. Add salt. Add whole wheat flour, stirring well after each addition. Gradually add 4 cups all-purpose flour to form a soft dough (I reserve the extra 1 cup for kneading).

Now, this is where I deviate from the recipe. The original recipe states to turn dough onto floured board and knead 5 to 10 minutes. Being the lazy baker that I am, I leave the dough in a huge mixing bowl and knead it in the bowl, usually sitting in front of the TV! I can tell no difference in the bread when it is kneaded either way, so now I always use the lazy method!

Place dough in a greased bowl, and cover with a damp towel. Let it rise until double in size. Punch down dough and form into 2 or 3 loaves. (This recipe makes 2 regular size loaves, or 3 smaller ones.) Let rise again for about 20 minutes. Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes. Put on cooling rack to cool.

This is one of the most delicious breads I have ever made! I have been making 2 loaves a week for the past month and my family never gets tired of it.

4 comments:

Jan Ross said...

Thanks for linking to Try It Tuesday - I appreciate it!! Your recipe sounds wonderful and I will have to try it. I love making bread dough in my breadmaker and then baking it in bread pans - so much easier!!

Anonymous said...

I'm going to forward this on to my friend Jennifer who is the bread queen. Thanks for the healthy suggestion!

Sarah said...

looks wonderful!

Heather said...

Oooohhh...I need to try this recipe!! It sounds fabulous!