Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Try-It Tuesdays - Debbie Meyer Green Bags

For months, I have been seeing commericials and infomercials about a great produce saver, the Debbie Meyer Green Bags. So, far, they have only been for sell over the internet or by phone call.

Well, recently, my hubby and daughter found these bags in a local Kroger store, so they bought a box for us to try at home. Although we are trying to cut down on our useage of plastic, ziplock bags are something I can't live without. So I was excited to see if these bags really did what they said they would do.
Here is how the bags are described on the official Green Bag website:
"Prolong the Life of Your Food
Tired of throwing out rotten food? DEBBIE MEYER™ Green Bags® prolong the life of your fruits, vegetables and cut flowers without the use of chemicals. Stock up on produce without worrying about rapid spoilage or extend the life of your homegrown fruits and veggies.

How DEBBIE MEYER™ Green Bags® Work
Fruits, vegetables and flowers release ethylene gas while ripening after harvesting or picking. Ethylene gas accelerates ripening, aging and rotting. DEBBIE MEYER™ Green Bags® absorb and remove this damaging gas, dramatically extending the life of fruits, vegetables and flowers."


1.) The first bag I used was for a Texas sweet onion. I had sliced about half the onion up for lunch, so I tucked the rest of the onion in one of the "green bags."

2.) The next "green bag" held a half a green pepper.

3.) The 3rd bag held some shredded cabbage I was going to use for cole slaw.

4.) The 4th bag I used for my daughter's bananas.

The results after one week in the refrigerator (except for the bananas, which were on the kitchen counter):

1.) The onion was still crisp with no signs of mold or mildew.

2.) The green pepper was slightly mushy, but still eatable.

3.) The cabbage was still crisp and my hubby loved the slaw.

4.) The 2 remaining bananas were MUSH after one week.

Although the veggies were still fairly fresh, I don't think the "green bags" did any better than regular ziplock bags. And I was totally disappointed in the bananas. There is no way bananas could stay fresh for up to 2 weeks; they couldn't last for one week.

So, will I finish using these green bags? Probably; they are reuseable, so I'll keep using them while they last. Will I ever buy Debbie Meyer Green Bags again? No, they are not worth the price. Will I recommend the green bags to my family and friends? No, but I will share my experience with them and let them decide for themselves.

2 comments:

Jan Ross said...

Thanks for sharing. I have wondered if those bags worked because my husband likes bananas and I don't,so sometimes they go bad before he can eat them. I guess I won't buy these bags to help that situation!

Keys to the Magic Travel said...

Thank you! My youngest daughter is addicted to infomercials. And is constantly writing down phone numbers for me. I have the number for mighty putty if you are interested :-)

And she was sure we could use these. And bananas is what I really need it for. Everyone loves them. But we can't buy enough for a whole week, because no one will eat them if there are brown spots. And I don't want to go to the store twice...so ours only last a few days.

Thanks again!