Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Veterans Day


Veterans Day is an annual American holiday to honor military veterans. Both a federal holiday and a state holiday in all states, typically observed on November 11. In other parts of the world it is known as Armistice Day or Remembrance Day because of the signing of the Armistice that ended World War I.

President Woodrow Wilson first proclaimed an Armistice Day on November 12, 1919. The United States Congress passed a concurrent resolution seven years later, requesting the President issue another proclamation to observe November 11 with appropriate ceremonies.
(Wikipedia)

Although I have no immediate family who are Veterans of any war, my father's oldest brother was at the Battle of Baatan and received a Purple Heart. He died in the late 1970s. My late father-in-law was a Veteran of the Armed Services (Dentist) and my brother-in-law retired from the Air Force 17 years ago.

I have the deepest respect for all our past Veterans, and especially for our young men and women still fighting overseas. May God protect them and bring them safely home to their families.

No comments: