Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Way Back Wednesday - Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade

This week's Way Back Wednesday will be a little different because I'm featuring an annual television event instead of a movie.

The Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade is an annual parade presented by Macy's Department store in New York City and it starts every Thanksgiving at 9:00 a.m. EST. Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade tradition started in 1924. Large animal-shaped balloons produced by The Goodyear Tire & Rubber Company in Akron, Ohio and Felix the Cat was the first balloon to make its debut. The balloons for the parade are inflated the day before (Wednesday) on both sides of the American Museum of Natural History in New York City. The inflation is open to the public the afternoon and night before the parade.

I have watched the parade every year for as far back as I can remember. It has always been a tradition to watch the parade with my children. This tradition continues today with my youngest daughter, who is 16 this year.

It still fills me with emotion to see the large balloons bobbing above the parade route and listening the the wonderful marching bands from all over the country. And I always seem to have tears in my eyes when Santa first makes his appearance.

No comments: